Posing Nude for Art Class Tomorrow
A***@hotmail.com
2006-01-27 19:30:50 UTC
Its my first time, and I'm somewhat nervous. I've always want to to
try this but now its actually going to happen. I feel like I'm going
to make a jackass out of myself.
Any advice for a novice? I do have a few specific questions... I know
I'm supposed to shut up during a pose, but what about during breakes?
Does a normal class talk to the model or should I keep my distance?
The class was originally going to be 10+ people, but some can't make it
so it'll be two or three. I think thats good for a start.
MVP
2006-01-28 14:45:33 UTC
Post by A***@hotmail.com
Its my first time, and I'm somewhat nervous. I've always want to to
try this but now its actually going to happen. I feel like I'm going
to make a jackass out of myself.
Any advice for a novice? I do have a few specific questions... I know
I'm supposed to shut up during a pose, but what about during breakes?
Does a normal class talk to the model or should I keep my distance?
The class was originally going to be 10+ people, but some can't make it
so it'll be two or three. I think thats good for a start.
during breaks you can throw-on a cloak or similar and feel free to
chat with the folks.
gonna be a bit scary the first time but it's not so bad wonce you are
there and a small group will help too.
:o)

--
Mark.
www.mvp-fine-art.co.uk

Post by A***@hotmail.com
at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<
A***@hotmail.com
2006-01-28 22:44:49 UTC
Post by MVP
Post by A***@hotmail.com
Its my first time, and I'm somewhat nervous. I've always want to to
try this but now its actually going to happen. I feel like I'm going
to make a jackass out of myself.
Any advice for a novice? I do have a few specific questions... I know
I'm supposed to shut up during a pose, but what about during breakes?
Does a normal class talk to the model or should I keep my distance?
The class was originally going to be 10+ people, but some can't make it
so it'll be two or three. I think thats good for a start.
during breaks you can throw-on a cloak or similar and feel free to
chat with the folks.
gonna be a bit scary the first time but it's not so bad wonce you are
there and a small group will help too.
:o)
--
Mark.
I DID IT!
I loved every minute! The time literally flew by! It was a small
group, two men and two women everyone was in the 35 to 45 year age
range. I actually felt bad taking money for it.
It was one single post with 15 minute breaks - everyone knew it was my
first time so they were patient. At the end the one woman said I was a
born model - because I never moved and after the break I was able to
get in the exact same position. Everyone said that was the first time
they saw a new model do that. The only thing I had a problem with was
my finger positions. I was sitting with my right hand on my right
thigh; but my thumb and a few of my fingers were floating. As I got
back into position, she did run over and position my fingers in the
right spot. That was kind of surprising. During a break I got down
from the stand and one of the men got a cellphone call and he went over
to where my stuff was and answered it. So I didn't have access to my
robe. I just got down and stood there and waited. One of the women
went to throw something away and walked right in front of me. On her
way back she stopped and asked what I did for a lifint where I went to
school - etc. Basically had a conversation with her as I was standing
there naked. I actually forgot for a minute I was nude.
Anyway I'm just so amazed at how easy it was.
Now when I start modeling at other places, I'll probably do one or two
minute gestures. He suggested a rope, tie it to the stand and sort of
pull it and lean back. So I'm guessing artists like to see muscles
working? What if I brought a golf club and stopped at the top of my
backswing? Or at the end of my downswing? I need ideas on how to
pose, I don't want to stand there like some sort of lump.
What about one of those wood stakes people use for gardening? Get one
of those and put it between my arms and shoulders like a 1930's
prisoner?
MVP
2006-01-29 10:56:34 UTC
Post by A***@hotmail.com
[...]
So glad you enjoyed it.
A friend of mine, although she's a pro model (photographic) does
modelling for college artists also just because she finds it a nice
relaxing time.
It's cool that you were quite comfortable naked, if you are not
bothered by it and neither are they it just feels completely normal,
it's not unusual for me to have a couple of naked girls wandering
around the studio as we eat pizza on a break or suchlike.

if you'd like a copy of a posing guide email me direct
markvarley at gmail.com
it's intended for photographic figure modelling but will give you many
ideas as the style is very very similar.

--
Mark.
www.mvp-fine-art.co.uk

Post by A***@hotmail.com
at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

lars0522
2006-01-28 16:49:21 UTC
I have modeled for figure drawing classes for nearly 12 years now. Its
a blast. have fun. You only talk if spoken to. If the pose is too
uncomfortable tell the artist that you can't hold it. Poses range from
2 minutes to 1 hour. I have done 1 hour stints without a break-can be
very painful-careful in choosing those poses. I use yoga positions,
sports positions etc for variety in poses. I rotate one quarter each
new pose so the same person doesn't always have the same view (i.e.
front view). Best of all, relax, let your mind wander, and have fun.
Its the only time I have that I am totally relaxed.